Monday, December 10, 2007

Some writing:)

I do not know what kind of issues do we have to talk about in our essay. I have read some interesting articles in the past few weeks about whale hunt so I decided to write about it. I guess it is far away from that kind of work we are supposed to publish in our blog, but I am putting it on. May some of you will enjoy it:).
Japan restarts whale hunt

In this November Japan has restarted whale hunt. This action has led to several conflicts with the western countries and with Greenpeace.

Japanese government claims that they can’t change their way of life because some experts says that whales are intelligent creatures and that they are one of the most endangered species in the world.
They also claim that the “brave fish” is a very important symbol of Japanese literature and religious life and that they also inspire different folk festivals.

However the Japanese seem to be not that respectful with other communities and traditions. Ainu people on the northern island of Hokkaido want to fish for wild salmon but the government prevented their traditional hunting. As Joji Morishita director for international negotiations for the Japanese government's Fisheries Agency comments the issue: “You cannot be perfect on every issue and unfortunately that's happening in the case of the Ainu”. Of course, we cannot.

Anyway four vessels left the port of Shimonoseki on 18 November. Their aim is to kill 935 minke whales, 50 fin whales and also 50humpback whales. In1986 commercial whale hunt of an undefined size was banned, but it is still possible to hunt for scientific purposes. Humpback hunt is banned since 1963, but as their number increasing –a population totaling about 42,000- the Japanese can easily kill 50 of them, of course only for scientific reasons. Japan says that they kill the animals in order to researches on their reproductive and feeding patterns.

The Usa, The European Union, Australia and New Zealand protested aginst the Japanese governement’s decision especially to kill humpbacks. The Greenpeace did it also. They will chase the fleet with a protest ship called Esperanza. The leades of the expedition Karli Thomas says: "We are going to do everything in our power to reduce their catch".

Finally here come some photos about last years whale hunts from all over the world:







For my work ( I don't know how can I call it) I used a news analysis from Kate Davison, the title is: Japan defends whale hunt. I found the fotos on google and in some articles I have read about the issue. I hope you will find it interesting:).

2 comments:

JoanaR said...

Hi Vera, thanks for posting. You can +post anythng you think might interest your colleagues. Just one request: please change the font color, for me it's very hard to read.

Rasparov said...

It's actually amazing what people still do to animals... Nice post, mate! Keep on =)